Skins can be either supplied by the client or created by IDG if agreed to by your account manager.
IDG Created Skins
If IDG is creating the skin the following elements are required from the client:
- Any fonts that are used with the product/advertisement.
- Vector versions of logos or illustrations.
- High quality JPG/PNG files of any products or graphics.
- A small brief of what the client would like to see in the resulting skin design.
Client Supplied Skins
Client supplied skins should follow these guidelines:
- Maximum file size for static skin 170kb
- Client should supply IDG with the original Photoshop file containing the designed skin and also exported jpg/png image files.
When designing skins, there are three standard widths that you should target that will cover the majority of users. Almost all readers will be able to see what’s within the 1280px marks. The designer should ensure the main branding information is visible within that space. Important logos, calls to action and links should be in this space.
The 1280px marks are visible by about 70-75% of readers. Material such as catch-phrases, product shots and additional images should be located here.
The 1600px marks are visible by about 25% of users. The look of the skin should extend there for those with larger monitors.
For static skin, make sure the output jpg/png file is not larger than 250kb.
For dynamic skin
- The total file sizes for the 3 images(skin.jpg, left.jpg and right.jpg) should be under than 300kb
- The maximum width for side images (left.jpg and right.jpg) is 420px
Download the skin template.